View Invoice Screen
The "Sales Invoice" screen is divided into the following sections:
Basic Invoice Details
This section displays the following basic details:
- To Party - This is the internal name of the customer you are invoicing.
- Status - This is the current status of the invoice (for example, "Pending" or "Paid").
- Paid Date - If the invoice payment has been received, the date and time will be displayed here.
- Orders - This is the reference number of any orders added to the invoice.
You may also update the following invoice details:
- Invoice Date - This is the date and time that the invoice is created. You may enter the date manually or by using the lookup widget. Select the time by using the drop down menus.
- Due Date - Enter the date and time that the invoice is due.
- Billing Address - Select the correct billing address from the drop down menu. Please note that any addresses created for the invoiced party will be listed in the drop down menu.
The invoice details section also allows contains the following buttons:
- [Mark as Ready] - This button will only appear after an item has been added to the invoice. Clicking this button will mark the invoice as ready, and will make the invoice non-editable. Clicking the [Mark as Ready] button will also bring up the [Writeoff] button.
- [Mark as Printed] - If the invoice has already been marked as ready and posted to the ledger, you can have the option of marking it as printed for your records. This will update the processing status of the invoice, but would not affect its posting status.
- [Writeoff] - Clicking this button will mark this invoice as non-collectible.
- [Void] - Clicking this button will void this invoice and reverse its ledger postings. Use this if the invoice has been posted to the ledger already but was actually incorrect.
- [Cancel] - Clicking this button will change the status of the invoice to "Cancelled". Please note that the invoice will not be deleted from the system, however you will no longer be able to edit the invoice details.
- [Create New] - Clicking this button will return you to the Create Sales Invoice Screen where you can create and a new sales invoice.
- [PDF] - Clicking this button will save the invoice as a PDF file.
- [Sample Invoice PDF] - This button allows you to save a commercial sample invoice as a PDF file for your reference. This invoice is basically a list of items without prices.
- [Email] - Clicking this button will allow you send an email with a PDF of the sales invoice as an attachment.
This section allows you to apply additional terms to the invoice. Enter the appropriate data into the following fields:
- Term Type - Select the term type (for example, "Commission for a specific product" or "Discount if Paid within Specified Days") from the drop down menu.
- Value - Enter the monetary value of the term for the invoice.
- Days - Enter the number of days relevant to this term for the invoice.
- Description - Enter a brief description of the term to distinguish it from other terms that may be applied to this invoice.
Clicking the [Add Term] button will apply the term to the invoice.
Editing an Invoice
Your Invoices can be created in either "editable" state or in "Ready" status meaning they are Posted and cannot be edited for the line item content. To control the state of your newly created Invoices refer to this guidance, Creating Editable Invoices.
Under certain conditions an Invoice can be changed, as follows:
- If the Invoice is in editable state, that is it is not in "Ready" status, and therefore is not yet Posted, then the Invoice Items can be changed or added.
- If the Invoice is in "Ready" status, meaning it is Posted, but it is not yet "Confirmed" then Limited Adjustments can be made as described in the View Invoice Screen#Adjustments section.
Changing Invoice Items
The "Invoice Items" section lists the items added to the invoice and allows you to update the item ID, description, quantity, and price. Clicking the [Update] button will save the changes to the invoice item. Clicking the [Remove] button will remove that item from the invoice. Clicking on the number of an item will take you to a Modify Invoice Items Screen where you can modify the item type details.
Adding Invoice Items
The [New Invoice Items] button allows you to apply additional items to the invoice. Enter the appropriate data into the following fields:
- Type - Select the type of item that you are adding to the invoice (for example, "Item Sales Tax" or "Item Additional Feature") from the drop down menu.
- Description - Enter a brief description of the term to distinguish it from other items that may be applied to this invoice.
- Override Account - If the new invoice item requires you to override a General Ledger account, you may select the account from the drop down menu.
- Product ID - If you are adding an additional product to the invoice, you may enter the internal product ID manually or search for it using the lookup widget.
- Quantity - Enter the quantity of the item that you are adding to the invoice.
- Amount - Enter the monetary value of the item that you are adding to the invoice and select the currency from the drop down menu. Please note that the currency will be set to the customer's pre-configured default currency.
- Is Taxable - Select "Yes" or "No" from the drop down menu to indicate whether the new item will be added to the taxable items in the invoice.
- Tax Authority - Indicate the appropriate tax authority by either selecting the relevant state from the first drop down menu, or by selecting the specific state tax authority name from the second drop down menu.
Clicking the [Add] button will apply the new item to the invoice.
In version 1.4 and later, if the invoice has already been posted (set to Ready) but not yet confirmed, you can make Limited Adjustments to the invoice with the form at the bottom. Each reason for adjustment will change the open amount of the invoice and cause ledger postings to different GL accounts. By default, you can adjust an invoice for cash discount, early payment discount, or writeoff, but additional ones can be configured.