Using Alternate Bom
Example of Using Two Routings and Alternate BOM Parts
This page contains an example of using a default and an alternate routing to produce a product. The routings specify the production process, so in this example a product can be built in two different ways, specified by the two different routings, and different parts.
To accomplish this the bill of material (BOM) contains two sets of components, one set for the default routing to use, and the other set of components for the alternate routing to use. The two sets of components are listed in the single product BOM that is identified by the finished Product ID in the catalog.
All of the alternate set of parts are specified in the usual way in the BOM, plus they must contain a value in the Only for Routing field, which is the Routing ID for the alternate routing. This acts as a tag to identify each of the alternate component set items.
Consider this example based on the product called MULTIBOM which is found in the opentaps Demo data. (Demo data can be installed on a training system or other non-production system used to teach and learn the system. Ask your system administrator where you can view the demo data if you like.)
Let's assume we are given a product MULTIBOM that can be manufactured in two different ways, as follows:
- Using components 2 x MAT1, and 3 x MAT2 -- this is the default routing way
- Or using components 1 x MAT3, and 4 x MAT4 -- this is the alternate routing way
Now we will set up our routings and the BOM to allow for these two ways, in the following steps.
1. Set up the two routings we require in our example
Open the page located at [Purchasing] Icon > [Manufacturing] Tab > [New Routing] button Refer to Production Routings for more information on this screen.
* Create a routing with a product link setting the manufactured product MULTIBOM, * Add the routing tasks as needed in the demo data or your own example. This will be the default routing, and can be named as such. * Name the Routing: Default routing for MULTIBOM
* Ceate another routing with a product link set to manufacture MULTIBOM. * Add the routing tasks as needed in the demo data. The routing tasks can be different ones from the default case, when required in a real world case. This will be the alternate routing, and can be named as such. * Name the Routing: Alternate routing for MULTIBOM
2. Create the BOM for MULTIBOM and Default Components In this example we will enter the default components first for convenience, but the order of entry is not otherwise important.
* Click: [Edit Bom] shortcut button in [Purchasing] Icon > [Manufacturing] Tab * Enter in Product ID field "MULTIBOM", then * Click: [Show BOM] button
* Add the components content to the BOM, first the default set as follows: * Enter Bom Type "Manufacturing Bom" * Enter Product ID "MULTIBOM" * Enter Product ID To "MAT1" * Enter Quantity "2" * Click: [Add] button * Continue to add the second component
* Enter Bom Type "Manufacturing Bom" * Enter Product ID "MULTIBOM" * Enter Product ID To "MAT2" * Enter Quantity "3" * Click: [Add] button
These are the two components used in the default routing. Continue.
3. Now, Create the alternate Bill of Material component entries
* Enter Bom Type "Manufacturing Bom" * Enter Product ID "MULTIBOM" * Enter Product ID To "MAT3" * Enter Quantity "1" * Enter Only for Routing Enter the Alternate routing ID This identifies the component as part of the alternate set for MULTIBOM
* Enter Bom Type "Manufacturing Bom" * Enter Product ID "MULTIBOM" * Enter Product ID To "MAT4" * EnterQuantity "4" * Enter Only for Routing Enter the Alternate routing ID This identifies the component as part of the alternate set for MULTIBOM
This completes the set up for using two routings with different sets of BOM components.
Observing the Results
You can now go to the Bom Simulation Screen to observe that without a given Routing Id the default bill of material component set is used, but when the Alternate Routing for MULTIBOM created earlier is given, the simulation will use the alternate bill of materials component set.
Similarly, the Create Production Run page and its 'Routing Id field can be used to specify either the default or the alternate routing, and the appropriate bill of materials component set will be used.