The opentaps Way of Coding
Why the opentaps Way of Coding
If you're reading this, you're probably either planning to customize opentaps Open Source ERP + CRM or build extensions with additional features for it.
Having done both many times, we've gradually developed a distinctly "opentaps Way of Coding" to help you do these things. Our goal is to make it easier for you to write your code with IDE's such as Eclipse and maintain your code through future versions of opentaps as they are released.
The opentaps Way follows these principles:
- Write clean object-oriented code
- Support your code with automated tests
- Maintain your code with compile time checking
- Separate your code cleanly versus existing opentaps code base
How It Works
First you need to write good, object-oriented code that's easy to understand and easy to manage and extend. To help you with this, we have implemented:
- Java Base Entities, Java Service Wrappers, and Java Constants Classes which encapsulate the data model, available services, and constant values in Java classes that can be extended or overriden
- Domain Driven Architecture, which implements object-oriented domains on top of the data model with logical methods and services.
- POJO Service Engine, which allows you to write true object-oriented Java classes and methods for the ofbiz service engine.
Because all these enhancements are in Java, you will be able to use an IDE such as Eclipse to work with the data model, services, and constants available.